DOME AND BALDACCINO, ST. PETER’S BASILICA, ROME: Michelangelo became the chief architect at St. Peter’s in 1546. By the time of his death in 1564, the dome was still not complete. The vault was completed in 1590 by Giacomo della Porta. Domenico Fontana then built the lantern and the dome was complete by 1593. The interior of the dome is 42.3 metres in diameter and rises 120 meters above the floor. The baldacchino sits directly below the dome and is the main visual focal point of the great church. It is made from almost 1,000 tons of bronze that was removed from the roof of the Pantheon. Designed by Bernini, the baldacchino was completed in 1633, and is accented with gold leaves. It stands 30 metres tall. The beautiful spiral columns are similar in style to the original St. Peter’s Basilica.
Shot handheld with a Nikon D3100, Nikon A-FS 10-24mm lens at 10mm, 1/13 sec, f3.5, ISO 800. John Ecker | pantheon photography